Monday, January 18, 2016

Storybook Favorites



Mermaids: An Eternal World of Waters I’ve always loved the idea of mermaids, and stories revolving around them. I’ve been wanting to read Hans Christian Anderson’s version of The Little Mermaid for a while (since I know it’s not the same as Disney’s), and I liked that her storybook embellished the stories a little more. I’m not familiar with the stories (other than The Little Mermaid), but the storybook made me want to read them. I also liked the idea to use a secondary character to unfold the story of the mermaids, which many of the storybooks did.


Creek Stories: I like the simple layout and the fact that Cameron told the stories from the characters' perspective. That's one major difference in old folktales and novels today; folktales are typically more distant from the characters' feelings, whereas now, authors put us inside the characters' heads—and I think people like that more, and it's more captivating. However, I wasn’t sure what the storybook would be about before I clicked on it. I thought it might be something akin to “fireside stories,” but since most folktales are something along the line of a “fireside story” or legend, that still didn’t give me much information.


LSD in a Yellow Submarine: I love the idea of incorporating a modern day theme (The Beatles) with the ancient folktales. I especially like this idea because I don't always enjoy reading ancient stories if I don’t like the setting, but putting them in a funky setting like this makes it more enjoyable to read. The layout also matched the stories really well, with the colorful backgrounds and photos.


The "Bad" Guys of the Bible: Their Side of the Story: I love anything that has to do with the Bible. I believe The Bible is Truth, but I also love any side-stories people tell from its history. These re-tellings of "the villains'" sides of the story are entertaining in themselves, but I also like the script-style layout of the blog, and I think that adds even more humor to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment