Monday, January 18, 2016

Growth Mindset: My Thoughts

("I love a challenge" meme from Laura's Growth Mindset Memes blog)

I'd never heard of the Growth Mindset or Carol Dweck before this assignment. I was really pleased with the ideas she presented, though, especially when I thought about my little sister.

Ella is brilliant, but she's also a little immature, and oftentimes when she's presented with a task she's unable to complete, she gets really frustrated and gives up or wants someone else to do the work for her. She wants to get 100% on all her school papers, and if she misses one, she's disappointed in herself. At the same time, she's a perfectionist, and can be very independent. I think she would thrive under a growth mindset atmosphere.

I really appreciate and agree with the idea of praising students for effort and improvement, rather than a simple score or correct answers that came easily.

I can see how I would benefit from the growth mindset. Sometimes, I have a tendency to stray away from activities I find difficult (like math) and gravitate heavily toward things I know I'm good at (like writing or art). I have a feeling this is something most people do, though, since it's generally not enjoyable to do something you're not good at. That is, unless your mindset is learning and growth, rather than immediate achievement. Our society has a tendency to gravitate toward anything that gives us immediate gratification anyway, rather than something we have to work and wait for. The growth mindset encourages improvement and patience, which are attributes we could all use more of.

I'm really interested in learning more about the Growth Mindset and applying it to my learning this semester. I want to strive to challenge myself rather than stay in my comfort zone of "easy."

No comments:

Post a Comment