Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Reading Diary: Week 11: Part B, Through the Looking Glass

Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll, 1871

 In Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum part 2, I think it's interesting that the twins tell Alice that the Red King is dreaming about her, and that if he woke up, she would disappear...because that's sort of the basis for our radio play in Capstone. We said Wonderland exists inside Alice's head, and so when someone knocks her unconscious, their world starts falling apart. It might be interesting to turn our radio play into a story, though I'm not sure it would fit...

I love how Tweedle Dum and Dee always say, "Contrariwise." I think it'd be fun to give one of my characters a little catchphrase like that.

"in a voice choking with passion." What a great description! Sometimes I have trouble conveying the way I want my characters to say something or show how they're feeling...and this is perfect.

"It's getting as dark as it can," ... "And darker." These are the kind of nonsensical sayings that I really want to make use of in our radio play, and they're great for creating a goofy character.

I really wish the whole book was included in the reading unit! I want to read it all, and I've had trouble finding it until now!

After Humpty Dumpty, I think it would be fun to have Alice run into another nursery rhyme or fairy tale character and interact with it... or she could go into another world of more modern-day strangeness, like Harry Potter! She falls into a world full of popular book characters...

In Of My Own Invention (and many of the other Alice tales), much of the story is written in quirky dialogue. Dialogue is usually pretty fun to write, and it's also fun to read. I might like to make my next story more dialogue-heavy.

The White Knight mentions making a pudding out of blotting paper and mixing in sealing wax (which I just realized I may have misread and then mis-written in the last post), along with gunpowder...and if I decided to do the story where I write about fish and chips and sealing wax, I could include this weird pudding made out of blotting paper and gunpowder to tie them together!

No comments:

Post a Comment